Friday, September 3, 2010

One Month Lots of Mouths

It has been just over a month since I first inoculated my bin with a paltry handful of Peruvian Llama Manure Worms. In that time I have found plenty of cocoons and plenty of juveniles. I am amazed at how small a new hatchling is, barley the width of a few hairs. I have no way to quantify how many worms are now in my bin, but I do know they are multiplying quickly. A week into the bin I was convinced I had killed the worms off as I could not find them when I dug through their bedding. It turned out they were just better at hiding than I anticipated. Now, I can not dig through the bin without finding pockets of squirms and lots of individuals spread around the bin.

I was just performing one of these inspections when I came across an individual that looked misshapen. I thought I had discovered evidence of sour crop. I have been pretty careful about not overfeeding, but I confess last week I gave them more than I ought to have. Much of what I fed them is still largely intact, and now, a misshapen worm. Fortunately, it was not sour crop at all. I had happened upon a worm in the process of shedding a cocoon. I watched what I at first thought was a dying worm roll out of this little white doughnut and deposit a brand new cocoon right in my hand. I am in a strange state of both awe and revulsion. Either way, the worms are breeding like the champions they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment